New user should be able to start a new topic?

coopsmark

43m

Hi Cath. Should I, as a basic user, have the ability to create a new post in a group? I only seem to be able to reply to existing posts.

Same here, I don’t seem to be able to create a new post, is that intentional?

That is how the permissions are currently set, I’m not sure if this is the Discourse default or if it has been changed for this instance of Discourse, it is set like this in order to combat spammers and spam bots.

Is your co-op a member of workers.coop? If you are then perhaps you get more permissions on account creation when accounts are created using the single sign-on process.

This seems to have come up more than once, though I know messageboard spam can get overwhelming if a lid isn’t kept on it. Is it possible to allow new members to start a new topic once they have made a post in the ‘say hello’ thread? That seems fair, and in-line with rules on other forums.

If we find that we are getting more spam threads than are manageable we can always switch back.

Currently to move from trust level 0 to trust level 1, a user has to:

• Enter (read) two topics (threads).
  • Read 10 posts (comments).
  • Spend 5 minutes on the site.

Once at trust level 1 users can create topics (threads).

This seems reasonable to me, if people haven’t spent a little time reading the site before posting it probably is fair to guess they might be a spammer, but it could be changed by an admin, see the trust levels settings.

@stephenreid321 has been automatically moved to trust level 1 because he has:

• 6 topics viewed
  • 34 posts read
  • 7m read time
2 Likes

OK, that seems pretty reasonable, thanks for laying it out @chris

Perhaps it needs to go in a sticky ‘Welcome to the forum’ post - I did start writing on ages ago but it got too long and involved - it was before we had a proper website with any information!

1 Like