Worker co-op weekend: 17th - 19th May 2024

The worker co-op weekend is back as usual, 17the - 19th May, at Thornbridge Outdoors, Bakewell (near Sheffield). The event page is up now, bookings will open once we finalise sponsorship so can set ticket prices. But do save the date and start adding your suggestions for the programme either in this document or in this post below.

We currently talking to Veggies about catering and will be approaching one or two of the wholesalers to support with food. There has already been a request about Childcare options so if anyone has a viable funded solution to this I’m open to ideas.

2024-05-17T15:00:00Z2024-05-19T14:00:00Z

1 Like

Is the whole site booked for the weekend?

No, the Farm house, teepees and camping site

1 Like

Excellent that should be plenty, to save people navigating the Thornbridge web site I’ve attached the PDF plans of the facilities and site map.

thornbridge-site-map.pdf (3.5 MB)
Teepee-Site-Plan.pdf (33.1 KB)
Base-Camp-Floor-Plan.pdf (250.5 KB)
farm-room-plan.pdf (263.4 KB)

1 Like

Ever supportive domains.coop have agreed to sponsor the Weekend

5 Likes

John, you mentioned international speakers in another thread. What kind of speakers do you have in mind?

In this context, probably US or EU both Sam and I have visited th US to see worker co-ops, and Sion has lots of EU contacts. But really it only works if they are coming to the UK anyway, as we can’t afford to pay internaitonal expenses.

1 Like

2 Likes

Is there space for vans? Cat from media co-op has a small van she stays in (that may transport 3 of us from Scotland) and is asking … so fingers crossed.

1 Like

Do we have any rough idea of per person cost yet ? All going well we’d have 1 in van, 2 camping and possibly 1 in the least rugged accommodation. Will workers on working groups pay same attendance fee as anyone else? I need to work out a ballpark figure ASAP to work out how many we can bring and get it cemented into our annual budget next week.

There’s a car park, but you do have to drive through the castle gates if I remember correctly which are pretty narrow and a rented van wing mirror got damaged on last time I was there! So if it’s super boxy I would call and ask the dimensions.

1 Like

Thanks Sean, it’s a pretty standard van. I’m assuming they’re okay with people camping in their vans?

I reckon you’ll be fine yeah. I’m sure people did that when I went there last time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m thinking of cycling given the excellent cycle access to the venue. I’ll be coming from the west. Would be great to have some company!

4 Likes

Hi, I’m not in a worker coop but I’ve been trying to become part of one for the last few years and I am interested in this event. Is this event suitable for me? What will there be for me there?

1 Like

Honestly, probably not, if you are considering starting a co-op. Book in a conversation with someone here: /conversations

If you want to join a co-op, then it depends on what industry you are in, lots of tech co-ops have remote workers so just check out their websites and look for recruitment opportunities. Loads of them are listed here: https://www.coops.tech/

But a lot of other co-ops in retail etc are very location dependent, so depends on where you live.

2 Likes

Vinnie, if it would be useful to have a chat about what you’d like to do just get in touch - louise@mediaco-op.net
Happy to be a sounding board or give you some pointers if you’re feeling a bit stuck.

1 Like

@louise I’ve added a CoTech session to the agenda, thinking that you, me and / or @Sion could run it and we could use it to try to progress the merging of CoTech into workers.coop, by, for example, drafting a merger MoA that could be proposed to both organisations.

Brilliant, Chris, thanks.
Today in the Community Tech session it felt like there are things brewing and it would be good to be poised and ready to take advantage of opportunities.
Someone this afternoon in a totally different context was saying they thought there needed to be a big tech fund for 3rd sector in Scotland … all a long way off but would be good to be part of the team to make that kind of initiative happen and be in a position to help to shape it as co-ops

1 Like

I wonder if anyone would like to discuss the following topics over the weekend:

Studying and applying critical thinking and systems thinking to better understand the complex processes in collaborative movements.
Enhancing people’s intelligence to increase their capability to do meaningful work.
Scientifically explained exercises and other interventions to improve people’s wellbeing and prolong their lives as the next step in the practice of yoga and qigong.

1 Like